Following US Rowing and Concept 2 recommendations we have come up with the following COVID-19 Rower's Responsibility Code to maintain rower/coach safety:
By going to the CLCR Lake area (outside your home) you are agreeing to the following rules and that you will be mindful of all other persons. If you feel unwell, stay home.
Overview: There are basically two ways to reduce the chance of transmission of this virus on the rowing equipment. First, don’t share equipment. Basic and simple. Only YOU touch the equipment, and if someone else has touched it, then you do NOT until it is disinfected. Respect social distancing, always. Wear your mask while on land as an extra precaution while you are preparing to launch or upon return.
1. Everyone must wash their hands thoroughly before coming to the CLCR Lake area
2. Upon arriving at the CLCR Lake area, please wear a mask while on land. This is both pre- and post- launch as an extra precaution.
3. Wash your hands (again) upon arriving at the lake. There is a hand sanitizer available at our disinfection station at the shed. There is a faucet on the inside of the "L" shape of the UCONN Women's boathouse if you need fresh water.
4. While on land we will maintain a 10 foot spacing with all others (an oars length).
5. When carrying a boat out if not on your own, let us say, from the bow, you will for the entire rowing session only carry your boat from the bow.
6. All boats will be washed after every use. See below for disinfection instructions.
There are 3 main areas to focus on for disinfecting rowing equipment. There will be bleach wipes, Sanitizing spray, a bleach water solution bucket and hand sanitizer available at the disinfecting station near the shed.
1. Oar handles. Oar handles are the most common piece of “shared equipment.” Disinfect with a fresh bleach dip BEFORE (just in case) and AFTER each row. Concept2 recommends using a bleach solution of 1 cup/5 gallons of water. We will follow their guidance with our bleach solution bucket.
2. Boat surfaces including seat tops. Any surface you have touched—seat top, gunwale, oarlock, non-removable shoes, ends of the boat when carrying—wipe down with disinfecting wipes, or spray with your bleach mix after you put the boat on the rack.
3. Quick release rowing shoes. Spray the shoes with Disinfectant Spray BEFORE and AFTER rowing.
4. Wash your hands prior to leaving the CLCR Lake area and once you get home.